Thursday, April 22, 2010

Welcome to Ars Terminus.

Clever name, huh? It took me a while to settle on one. Atlantaland was one idea, as well as KrogerKultureKonnection (totally inappropriate but kindof gets the point across while at the same time obscuring it totally) Hot Atlanta, and simply Atlanta Culture Blog. I think Ars Terminus is the pefect balance of a nerdly obsession with 21st century historical perspectives, the point of art, and the future trajectory of Atlanta, GA.

The point of this blog is to create a space on the net for dialogue that pushes forward the cultural maturity of Atlanta. My main focus will be writing reviews of plays and discussing issues related to the performing arts and the role of artists in 21st century Atlanta. A value which I will try my hardest to maintain is to not be a hater. This is a hard thing to do when writing about the culture scene in Atlanta. The fact is, this is an incredibly dynamic city with many wonderful and talented artists who really care about the development of this city, but there are aspects—some political, some cultural, others geographical that keep this city behind places like NYC, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Boston, Minneapolis, Baltimore as far as gainful opportunities for artists.

Atlanta, has much working in its favor being the “gateway to the south” and home of a large international airport. We are blessed with a rich history both of triumphs of the Americandream (Coca-Cola, Young Jeezy...) and horrors of the human condition (The Trail of Tears, Slavery, Coca-Cola, Young Jeezy...) and, for me, there is no more important place in America to be a working artist right now than Atlanta. Here will be a place to give recognition where I feel it's due, wag my self-important-bloggospheric finger at trends and policies I think are damaging to the city, and probably blurt out non-sequeters about southern history that I find interesting. Maybe I'll post funny videos and recordings from local artists I like.

This is a first-step for this blog, and I hope it grows into something that can help the city in some way. If you want me to cover a story, or would like to contribute to this blog, link to it, steal from it, just let me know. Email me at efillon@gmail.com cool thanks enjoy.

2 comments: